digital.tallinn

OVERVIEW PHOTO TOUR VIRTUAL TOUR ART GALLERY
OVERVIEW PHOTO
TOUR
VIRTUAL
TOUR
ART
GALLERY
     
 
BRIEF HISTORY GENERAL INFORMATION ARRIVAL PRACTICAL INFORMATION

The War for Independence finished with the Tartu Peace Treaty signed in Tartu on February 2, 1920. Russia gave up all rights to sovereignty over Estonia with the peace treaty.
Independence gave such a strong thrust to the development of the city that the architectural additions of the 1920s and 1930s, particularly in residential buildings, remain among the best of the city's buildings.
Estonians proved their excellence at music, literature, sport and industry.
However, peaceful development lasted but twenty years. In 1939 Hitler and Stalin divided Europe in Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact. The secret protocols left Estonia in the sphere of interest of Russians.
The first Soviet occupation lasted from 1940-41, followed by a three-year German occupation. The second Soviet occupation ousted the Germans and remained from 1944 to 1991, nearly fifty years.
The Singing Revolution began in 1988, primarily at the initiative of creative unions and the Estonian Heritage Society.
On August 20, 1991, the Estonian Supreme Soviet declared the reestablishment of Estonian independence, on the basis of legal continuity, in Toompea Palace.
 
     

flash version
 
Bookmark and Share   
eXTReMe Tracker